HealthSelect of Texas participants must choose a primary care provider (PCP)
If you are a HealthSelect of Texas® participant, you must have a primary care provider (PCP) on file with plan administrator Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) to get the highest level of benefits—and save the most money. Once you make your PCP selection, most services must be coordinated through your PCP for you to get coverage at the in-network level. If you have not named an in-network PCP after your first 60 days in HealthSelect of Texas, you will pay at the out-of-network level for the care you get – even if you see in-network providers – until you choose a PCP.
If you are new to the HealthSelect of Texas medical plan or just haven’t chosen a PCP, remember to take the time to choose a PCP as soon as possible. Your PCP is the medical professional you choose to treat and coordinate your health care needs. He or she is usually the first person you call (unless it’s an emergency) to take care of you when you are sick, or refer you to specialists if you need more care. Your PCP can also help you stay up to date with yearly exams, immunizations and health screenings. Having one dedicated provider who knows your health history will result in more personalized care for you.
Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM, HealthSelectSM Secondary and HealthSelectSM Out-of-State participants don’t have to name a PCP or get referrals to specialists. But it’s a good idea to for everyone to have a trusted provider managing their care.
BCBSTX can help you find, choose your PCP
For help finding and choosing your PCP, you can call a BCBSTX Personal Health Assistant toll-free at (800) 252-8039 (TTY: 711), Monday—Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Saturday, 7 a.m. - 3 p.m. CT.
Or, you can choose your PCP online by following these steps:
- Log in to Blue Access for MembersSM by clicking on “Log In” in the upper right corner at www.healthselectoftexas.com. (If you don’t have a Blue Access for Members account yet, it takes just a few minutes to set one up. You’ll need the information on your member ID card.)
- Click on the “Doctors & Hospitals” tab and then the “Change Primary Care Physician” link.
- From the dropdown, choose “Other” as the reason for the change, then verify the address where the medical ID card will be mailed and click “Next.”
- Search for a provider by name or leave Provider Name blank and enter search criteria and click “Search.”
- Choose the PCP from the search results and click “Apply.” Review selected PCP and “Submit.”