COVID-19 and Your HealthSelect Plan
The Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) is working with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) to closely monitor the impact of COVID-19 (coronavirus). BCBSTX stands ready to help doctors, hospitals and public health organizations in serving HealthSelectSM participants in understanding, preventing and potentially treating people who have been affected by the virus.
The federal government currently requires most group health plans to cover the cost of a limited number of certain over-the-counter home COVID-19 antigen tests for participants. This includes the HealthSelect of Texas®, Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM and HealthSelectSM Out-of-State plans offered through the Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS). If you are not enrolled in Medicare, please see your HealthSelect Prescription Drug Program for details on how you can get your tests.
If you are enrolled in Medicare and HealthSelectSM Secondary, Medicare will cover over-the-counter tests if you have Part B. You should take your red, white and blue Medicare card with you to the pharmacy to get your free tests. Medicare won’t cover over-the-counter COVID-19 tests if you only have Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) coverage, but you may be able to get free tests through other programs. Read the Medicare Fact Sheet for more information.
For help scheduling a COVID-19 vaccination in your area, you have the following options:
1. Use the Texas Health and Human Services Vaccine Finder or call 2-1-1 to find local vaccine providers.
2. Use the Centers for Disease Control Vaccine Finder.
Additional information about the COVID-19 vaccine is available in the COVID-19 Vaccine Resources section below.
We're Here For You
We understand you may be dealing with financial and emotional stress due to COVID-19 related issues. BCBSTX and ERS are working to make things easier by providing additional support and benefits coverage for HealthSelect participants and providers during this time.
This COVID-19 FAQ document (updated on August 16, 2022) outlines the most recent changes to your health plan as well as options for care for you and your covered family members, including vaccine coverage.
For more specific benefit-related questions, please contact a BCBSTX Personal Health Assistant for more information.
- All HealthSelect participants, including Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM have access to medical and mental health Virtual Visits through Doctor On Demand® and MDLIVE®.
- If you are enrolled in HealthSelect of Texas®, HealthSelectSM Out-of-State or HealthSelectSM Secondary, mental health Virtual Visits through Doctor On Demand and MDLIVE are covered at 100%. This means you will pay nothing for medical and mental health Virtual Visits.
- If you are enrolled in Consumer Directed HealthSelect, you must meet your annual deductible before medical and mental health Virtual Visits are covered. After you meet your deductible, you will pay 20% coinsurance. COVID-19-related Virtual Visits are temporarily being covered at no cost for Consumer Directed HealthSelect through December 31, 2022.
- Your primary care provider (PCP) or specialist may be able to provide services via telemedicine/telehealth platforms. Provider telemedicine services are covered the same as in-person office visits. Contact your provider(s) to ask if this service is available.
- If you have questions about your prior authorization or referral, see the FAQ document at the link above.
- Download the COVID-19 flier for general information.
- Download the COVID-19 vaccine flier for vaccine-related information.
- Watch a recording of Doctor On Demand's educational presentation on COVID-19.
- Use Provider Finder® to find health care providers in your area.
- Learn more about your Mental Health Benefits.
- Learn more about your Prescription Drug Program .
- Visit HealthSelect MedicareRx for information about the HealthSelect Medicare Prescription Drug Program.
|General COVID-19 Resources:
- COVID-19 Vaccine FAQ
- Texas COVID-19 Vaccine availability
- Johnson & Johnson
If you have any questions about your benefits you can speak with a BCBSTX Personal Health Assistant:
BCBSTX Personal Health Assistants are available
Call a BCBSTX Personal Health
(800) 252-8039 (TTY:711)
Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m. and
Saturday, 7 a.m.-3 p.m. CT.
Watch the following BCBSTX educational videos to learn about COVID-19 related best health practices.