COVID-19 and Your HealthSelect Plan
The Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) continues to work with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas (BCBSTX) to provide coverage for HealthSelectSM participants for certain benefits, including virtual treatment options, for COVID-19.
As of Sept. 1, 2023, over-the-counter home COVID-19 antigen tests are no longer covered through the HealthSelect of Texas®, Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM and HealthSelectSM Out-of-State plans offered through the Texas Employees Group Benefits Program (GBP) by the Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS).
If you are enrolled in Medicare, lab tests for COVID-19 that are ordered by your provider are covered with no out-of-pocket costs. Over-the-counter tests are available, but there may be out-of-pocket costs. Read Medicare's Coverage for COVID-19 Tests for the most up-to-date information. You may also visit the CMS website for information regarding your Medicare coverage..
Talk to your doctor or pharmacist or use the Centers for Disease Control Vaccine Finder to locate vaccine providers.
Additional information about the COVID-19 vaccine is available in the COVID-19 Vaccine Resources section below.
We're Here For You
This COVID-19 FAQ document (updated on Aug 29, 2023) outlines the most recent coverage changes to your health plan, as well as care options for you and your covered family members, including vaccine coverage.
For other benefit-related questions, please contact a BCBSTX Personal Health Assistant toll-free at (800) 252-8039 (TTY: 711) Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. and Saturday, 7 a.m. - 3 p.m. CT for more information.
- All HealthSelect participants, including Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM have access to medical and mental health Virtual Visits through Doctor On Demand® and MDLIVE®.
- If you are enrolled in HealthSelect of Texas®, HealthSelectSM Out-of-State or HealthSelectSM Secondary, mental health Virtual Visits through Doctor On Demand and MDLIVE are covered at 100%. This means you will pay nothing for medical and mental health Virtual Visits.
- As of Sept. 1, 2023, the regular benefit will apply for the Consumer Directed HealthSelect plan. This means you must meet your annual deductible before medical and mental health Virtual Visits are covered. After you meet your deductible, you are responsible for your 20% coinsurance.
- Your primary care provider (PCP) or specialist may be able to provide services via telemedicine. Provider telemedicine services are covered the same as in-person office visits. Contact your provider(s) to ask if this service is available.
- If you have questions about your prior authorization or referral, see the FAQ document at the link above.
- Download the COVID-19 flier for general information.
- Download the COVID-19 vaccine flier for vaccine-related information.
- Use Provider Finder® to find health care providers in your area.
- Learn more about your Mental Health Benefits.
- Learn more about your Prescription Drug Program .
- Visit HealthSelect MedicareRx for information about the HealthSelect Medicare Prescription Drug Program.
|General COVID-19 Resources:
If you have any questions about your benefits you can speak with a BCBSTX Personal Health Assistant:
BCBSTX Personal Health Assistants are available
Call a BCBSTX Personal Health
(800) 252-8039 (TTY:711)
Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-7 p.m. and
Saturday, 7 a.m.-3 p.m. CT.
You can also communicate via secure chat and secure messaging
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.,
after logging into Blue Access for MembersSM
Watch the following BCBSTX educational videos to learn about COVID-19 related best health practices.