Preventive care is proven to be safe and effective in preventing disease. Preventive check-ups and screenings can help find illnesses and medical problems early and improve your health.
HealthSelect of Texas® medical plans, including Consumer Directed HealthSelectSM, cover most preventive screenings and services with no out-of-pocket costs, like copays or coinsurance, when you visit an in-network provider. This is true even if you haven’t met your deductible, if your plan has one.
Covered preventive care services available to HealthSelect participants and covered dependents (children and adults) include:
- general health screenings,
- health counseling,
- cancer screenings,
- prevention-related screening for pregnant women and
- some age- and gender-specific screenings.
If you are enrolled in HealthSelect of Texas, you must have a primary care provider (PCP) to coordinate your care to get the highest level of benefits. Eligible participants may even be able to earn a reward for some preventive screenings through the HealthSelectShoppERS program.
Your PCP should be your first stop for preventive care each year. By scheduling annual check-ups with your PCP and getting preventive screenings, you may be able to assess, manage and prevent many health issues. Routine annual check-ups help you stay healthy and even save money by avoiding costly health care services in the future.
During your annual check-up, your PCP will likely:
- perform a physical exam, measuring your weight, height and blood pressure,
- request lab and blood work, help you develop a plan to reach your health goals,
- discuss your chronic conditions and coordination of care, if applicable,
- recommend routine screenings, immunizations and other preventive care and
- talk about your health history and lifestyle.
If you have questions about preventive care or need help finding a PCP or scheduling an appointment, call a Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas Personal Health Assistant toll-free at (800) 252-8039 (TTY: 711), Monday-Friday 7 a.m.-7 p.m. CT, and Saturday 7 a. m.-3 p.m. CT.
BCBSTX Personal Health Assistants are available
Call a BCBSTX Personal Health
(800) 252-8039 (TTY:711)
Monday-Friday 7 a.m.-7 p.m. and
Saturday 7 a.m.-3 p.m. CT.
You can also communicate via secure chat and secure messaging
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.,
after logging into Blue Access for Members