Be a smarter shopper with cost estimates in Provider Finder
When you’re looking to make a big purchase, you probably do a little research beforehand and compare prices at different locations to make sure you’re getting the best value for your money.
Your health is priceless. But did you know that prices for the same procedure can vary significantly depending on where you go? As a HealthSelectSM medical plan participant, you can use Provider Finder® to get cost estimates when your provider recommends services or procedures so you can make an informed decision about where to go and what to spend for your care.
How does it work
If a primary care provider or specialist orders a test or procedure, you can use Provider Finder to search for in-network providers and get cost estimates for your out-of-pocket expenses before getting care. You can also compare the quality ratings for nearby providers who perform the service and see the cost estimate for each location. After comparing options, you can select the provider that’s right for you. You might even be eligible to earn HealthSelectShoppERSSM rewards for choosing a quality, lower-cost provider. More details on that below.
Get cost estimates in five easy steps:
- Log in to Blue Access for MembersSM.
- Go to Provider Finder by clicking on the “Find Care” tab, followed by the “Medical” tab and then clicking on the “Find a Doctor or Hospital” button.
- Select “Cost Estimates” located in Provider Finder and search for the procedure. You can also choose to browse by category. You have the option to select “All Rewarded Procedures” to search for HealthSelectShoppERS-eligible services only.
- Review your search results. Search results will show in-network health care providers who perform the procedure and your estimated out-of-pocket cost for each provider. Review your search results and choose up to four providers to compare side-by-side.
- Select a Provider. Click on a provider for a cost breakdown of the service, including both your out-of-pocket costs and the cost to your plan.
You can also call a Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas Personal Health Assistant to find providers and get cost estimates.
Remember: Even if a facility is in the HealthSelect network, the doctors, anesthesiologists, radiologists and other providers who practice at that facility may not be. It's important to find out if all the providers are in-network before scheduling a surgery or procedure.
Earn rewards with HealthSelectShoppERS
With HealthSelectShoppERS, eligible HealthSelect participants can earn up to $500 per family in flexible spending account rewards each plan year when they choose lower-cost, quality providers for certain medical services or procedures. Simply select “All Rewarded Procedures” in step three above to filter for HealthSelectShoppERS-eligible services only. Detailed program information can be found on the HealthSelect website.
If you have any questions about Provider Finder or HealthSelectShoppERS, visit www.healthselectoftexas.com or call a Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas Personal Health Assistant toll-free at (800) 252-8039 (TTY: 711), Monday – Friday 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Saturday 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. CT.